Saturday, August 8, 2009

DINO-mite

I'm so excited! Here are the updated pictures of the cake. I made the cake from white cake and the volcano is rice krispy treats. I iced with chocolate and regular homemade royal icing. The dinosaurs and the trees are fake plastic. My original plan was to make them from modeling chocolate but I couldn't get the fine detail I wanted. The "rocks" are mini-marshmellows rolled in chocolate icing and coated in hot chocolate mix. Inside the volcano I wedged a shot glass and coated the rim with icing to hide it more. In the glass I put dry ice and water when it was time to light the cake. This made a HUGE amount of smoke and it looked like the cake was erupting. The shot glass kept the krispy treat fresh. It worked wonderfully! The icing was tinted with natural tints--clorophyll for the green, blueberry extract for the blue and carrot extract for the lava. My little one is allergic to food dyes so I have to use the natural ones. With a traditional client I would have used gel colors.

The impressed 3 year old crowd :)
The birthday boy enjoying his waterfall.

Erupting Lava!
Another View of the Lava



Here's the cake---pre-eruption
Here's a completely unrelated picture of the "Lava punch" I made with dry ice--it was a HUGE hit!




No comments: